While all dogs can be friendly and be great pets, certain breeds are more likely to bite or attack someone and cause serious—or even fatal—injuries. To help you and your loved ones avoid dog attacks, it's important to know what the most dangerous breeds are.
Five Most Dangerous Dog Breeds
Victims of dog attacks or bites frequently experience infections, severed tendons, eye and facial damage, brain injuries, and scarring. Unfortunately, many young children who are bitten might have to live with scarring and disfigurement on their faces and other permanent injuries for the rest of their lives.
When considering dangerous dog breeds, I can't stress enough how important it is to remember that not all dogs of that breed pose a threat. All breeds that are properly supervised and trained can be loving pets.
However, these breeds require more supervision, training, and care to lessen aggressive behaviors—and unfortunately, many dog owners and handlers don't invest in their animals in this way. Dog breeds most likely to bite or attack someone include:
- Pit bulls. These are fighter dogs by nature and have strong jaws. Once they bite someone, it can be hard to get them to let go.
- Rottweiler. Known for their aggressive disposition, they can be fierce guard dogs. Owners must take a calm and assertive approach with them and constantly train them to help them maintain restraint during potentially inciting incidents.
- German Shepard. While great protectors of their families, they can be extremely dangerous if they perceive a threat, and, in some cases, their attack can be fatal.
- Doberman Pinscher. These intelligent, powerful protectors tend to be more aggressive around strangers. They can weigh as much as 100 pounds, which increases the risk they'll cause life-altering injuries in an attack.
- Bullmastiff. Strong-willed and aggressive by nature, these massive dogs require extensive training and socialization around strangers to avoid biting or attacking someone—even if they're displaying any threatening behaviors.
Contact a San Diego Dog Bite Lawyer
After a frightening dog attack, you need a skilled San Diego dog bite lawyer who will fight for all the compensation you deserve under California law. I understand how serious dog bite injuries can be and am dedicated to protecting the rights of my clients. To learn more about how I can assist you, call my San Diego office today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.