Immediately! Once you have legal counsel to help guide your case, things will be much smoother. Here are three reasons why hiring a knowledgeable pedestrian accident attorney strengthens your case and increases the likelihood that you'll recover all the injury compensation you deserve.
Attorneys Conduct More Thorough Investigations
Your lawyer can implement a more comprehensive investigation into the cause of your pedestrian accident if you contact them right after it happens. Here are some reasons why:
- They can speak to the police officer who responded to the scene and review all details of the police report.
- It's easier for them than you to request surveillance videos from nearby businesses that may have recorded your accident.
- They can obtain accident witness statements more quickly.
- Your attorney will visit the scene of your accident to document further evidence before road and other conditions that may have contributed to your crash change.
- They can obtain the motor vehicle’s black box data to help prove details pertaining to the crash.
Dedicated Legal Counsel Helps You Avoid Mistakes
Unfortunately, many pedestrian accident victims make mistakes when they don't hire a lawyer right away—mainly because they simply don't know what might hurt their case.
Actions such as making statements that can be misconstrued as admitting partial fault, agreeing to give a recorded statement, and accepting a quick settlement can damage your case. You can avoid these costly errors by hiring an attorney with experience handling pedestrian accident claims before you speak to the driver's insurance carrier.
Skilled Negotiating Power for Your Settlement
You need the help of a lawyer to accurately calculate all the past and future compensation you should receive for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. In addition, an attorney has the experience to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company. They will have strategies to defeat the insurance company’s arguments if it tries to pay you less than your injuries deserve—or deny your claim altogether.
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in San Diego or Southern California, call my office to schedule a free consultation with me. During your appointment, I'll explain your legal options and how my team and I will fight for all the compensation you're entitled to under California law.