If you were involved in a rear-end collision, don't make a mistake thinking your injuries are minor. It's not uncommon for symptoms to take days or longer to develop into a serious problem. Then, you might face lengthy and expensive medical treatments and unexpected time off work for recovery.
5 Most Common Injuries Caused in Rear-End Crashes
Depending on the severity of the rear-end accident, you could suffer a variety of injuries.
- Whiplash. Perhaps the most reported injury in these accidents, whiplash, is caused by a violent jerk of a victim’s neck when his vehicle is struck. Symptoms include neck pain, stiffness, and limitation of movement. While some individuals can recover within a few weeks or months, others experience chronic pain and complications that last a year or longer.
- Brain injuries. In a rear-end collision, the victim’s head can be jolted or smashed against a hard object in his car. This often results in concussion, traumatic brain injury(TBI), or other complications. Depending on the severity of the impact, these injuries cause permanent brain damage and devastating changes to a person’s vision, mobility, reasoning, memory, and other cognitive functions.
- Back injuries. Even if vehicles are traveling at a slow speed at the time of the collision, the force of it can strain or tear back muscles, ligaments, and tendons and cause compression of vertebrae and discs.
- Broken bones. Bones in the hands, legs, arms, feet, spine, and ribcage can be broken or fractured. While some broken bones heal quickly when put in a cast, others require surgery, braces, and other medical procedures. If there are complications or the bones don't heal properly, a victim can suffer long-term pain and limitations in movement that affect quality of life.
- Paralysis. One of the most traumatic injuries caused by these accidents is partial or total paralysis. A victim could need life-long expensive medical treatments and round-the-clock assistance with daily needs.
Let Us Help Fight for Your Rights
If you were injured in a rear-end collision, you need an experienced San Diego car accident lawyer to pursue your claims against the driver and any other liable parties and receive the compensation you deserve. To learn about my track record of success in these cases and how I can assist you, call my San Diego office to schedule a free consultation today.