Most people shop at their favorite grocery stores at least once or twice a week. Unfortunately, thousands of customers suffer injuries in slip and fall accidents when store managers or employees fail to take preventative safety measures. If you or a family member fell while shopping, hire an experienced San Diego slip and fall attorney as soon as possible to protect your right to injury compensation.
Leading Causes of Trips and Falls at the Supermarket
You may feel embarrassed if you fall at a grocery store, especially if other people are around. However, the incident probably wasn't your fault.
Grocery store employees have a duty to maintain the store in a reasonably safe condition and warn customers of potential dangers. Slip and fall accidents usually occur when these duties are breached.
Top causes of injuries include:
- Spills of food and liquid. Leaks from freezers, dripping fruits and vegetables in the produce section, and spilled food in the aisles present many hazards when not quickly cleaned up. Additionally, many customers who eat and drink while shopping can cause messes, resulting in more dangerous conditions.
- Cracked or uneven flooring or torn carpet. Grocery store floors might be damaged or need replacement due to wear and tear more frequently because of the beating they take from customers and employees on a daily basis.
- Entranceways and exits. These areas are frequently slippery when water tracked in isn't cleaned up. Tripping is a common occurrence if floor mats are missing, defective, or improperly positioned.
- Parking lots. Depending on who is responsible for the maintenance of the parking lot in the store’s lease, the supermarket and/or the building owners may face liability for compensating victims injured on cracked surfaces or lots filled with potholes.
- No warning signs. When staff members can't remove a slip and fall hazard right away or create one when cleaning or waxing the floor, they have a duty to alert customers by posting a warning sign. If they fail to do this, this can be the basis of a negligence claim.
5 Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall at the Grocery Store
You should take these steps immediately to protect your health and your legal rights if you fall at the supermarket:
- Call 911 or go to the emergency room if you suffered apparent injuries. Schedule an appointment with your doctor within a few days, even if you don't think you were hurt, because you could suffer hidden injuries.
- Notify the owner or store manager immediately and file an accident report. Get a copy for your files.
- Use your cellphone to take pictures of the area where you fell, the condition that caused the incident, and your injuries.
- Obtain contact information for the grocery store and any witnesses to your fall.
- Retain an experienced slip and fall accident attorney as soon as possible.
Did you or a loved one suffer injuries in a grocery store slip and fall accident in San Diego or Southern California? At the Law Offices of Mark C. Blane, APC, we're ready to explain your legal options and fight for your right to compensation. I handle these cases on a contingency fee basis—this means you don't owe any attorney fees until I win your case. Schedule your free consultation today by completing my convenient form on my website.