Even if you were involved in a serious car accident, you may not realize that you suffered any injuries until days or weeks after your crash. Adrenaline could initially mask your pain or discomfort and it could take days or longer for you to experience the symptoms of some conditions.
However, the fact that they are not apparent right away does not mean that they are not long-term, serious injuries. If a negligent driver caused your collision, they are responsible for compensating you for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Common Hidden Injuries Caused by Car Crashes
One of the best ways that you can protect your health and your right to compensation for your injuries is to be examined by a doctor within 48 hours of your accident. Here are common delayed injuries that you could have suffered that you may need medical treatment for:
- Neck and shoulder injuries. The tendons and muscles in the neck and shoulder can be stretched, strained, or torn when your body is jerked back and forth during the crash. Whiplash is a common delayed injury that can cause neck pain, stiffness, headache, and blurred vision.
- Traumatic brain injury. A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can be caused by a jolt to the head or an object penetrating the skull and brain. Even a minor rear-end collision can cause a TBI, which could result in you experiencing devastating changes to your vision, mobility, memory, concentration, and more.
- Herniated discs. A herniated disc occurs when the jelly-like cushion between the spinal cord discs ruptures or balloons out in a way that results in pressure on the nerves. You could experience pain, loss of feeling, and limitations in muscle control to your legs and arms.
- Knee injuries. Your knee could be injured if it slams into the dashboard or other hard object during the collision. You could suffer a shattered knee cap or strained or torn muscles or tendons. These injuries can be very painful and make it difficult for you to walk.
- Psychological trauma. Being in a car accident can be a frightening experience, especially if you suffer injuries. You could experience anxiety, depression, and other psychological conditions due to your injuries and the changes they cause to your life.
Contact an Attorney If You Suffered a Delayed Injury
If you were hurt in a car accident in San Diego or Southern California, you need an experienced car accident lawyer to fight with the negligent driver’s insurance company so that you receive all the compensation you deserve in your settlement. Schedule a free consultation to learn how I can help you.