If you're injured in a slip and fall accident, it may be your first experience filing a claim with an insurance company. While many insurance carriers treat injured victims fairly, others will do anything they can to reduce or deny a claim.
Here are some of the top secrets that insurance carriers might not want you to know.
- The insurance company doesn't want you to hire an attorney. The insurance adjuster may try to persuade you against partnering with an experienced slip and fall lawyer. He may tell you that you'll receive more in your settlement if you don't have to pay attorney fees. The reality is that many slip and fall accident victims receive far less than they deserve when they don't have a lawyer negotiate their settlements.
- Insurance companies consider the cost of litigation in making decisions. An adjuster won't tell you this, but the cost of defending the insured in a lawsuit is considered when making an offer and deciding whether to settle your claim. If you have an attorney who's aggressively fighting for your rights, the insurance company may be more likely to settle your claim appropriately.
- Insurance companies make money if a claim is settled for less. An insurance carrier is a profit center, just like any other business. When a personal injury claim is settled for less than it's worth, that means a flush corporate bottom line. A focus on saving money might prompt some adjusters to offer as little as possible in a settlement or to deny a legitimate claim.
- The insurance company makes the final decision. A business or property owner wants to do the right thing and compensate you for your slip and fall injuries. However, an insurance adjuster decides on how much to offer and whether to settle or dispute your claim.
- The insurance company may make misstatements. Insurance adjusters might not tell you about their implied duty under the insurance policy to settle claims in good faith and to treat you fairly. Instead, a representative could make misstatements about policy coverage and the value of your claim to convince you to accept a reduced settlement.
We're On Your Side
Did you suffer injuries in a slip and fall accident in San Diego County or Southern California? Take advantage of my offer of a free book, The Ultimate California Slip and Fall Injury Legal Survival Book, to start learning about your rights when filing a claim. Then, call my office today and schedule your free consultation with me.