California (San Diego) workers' compensation insurance provides six basic benefits (you should review these benefits with a qualified San Diego work comp lawyer):
- 1. Medical care: Paid for by your employer to help you recover from an injury or illness caused by a work related injury or illness;
- 2. Temporary disability benefits: Payments if you lose wages because your injury prevents you from doing your usual job while recovering from your work injury;
- 3. Permanent disability benefits: Payments if you don't recover completely from your injury;
- 4. Supplemental job displacement benefits (if your date of injury is in 2004 or later): Vouchers to help pay for retraining or skill enhancement if you don't recover completely and don't return to work for your employer;
- 5. Vocational rehabilitation (if your date of injury is before 2004): Job placement counseling and possibly retraining if you are unable to return to your old job and your employer doesn't offer other work;
- 6. Death benefits: Payments to your spouse, children or other dependents if you die from a job injury or illness.