CALIFORNIA CHILD INJURY: If my minor child is injured in a California Personal Injury Auto Accident, how is my child's settlement handled with the courts?

In California, all personal injury settlements for minors are subject to California Superior Court approval. If the settlement to the minor child is at least $5,000.00, then the Court typically orders that the money be deposited into a blocked account that can only be accessed by the minor when they turn 18 years old; or prior to that point if the Court issues an order permitting money be withdrawn under very specific circumstances.  

A Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) is also ordered by the court to administer the funds on behalf of the minor child; usually this is a parent, or relative.  San Diego Child Injury Attorney Mark C. Blane handles many injured minor clients, and he also sets up the Court approval process for all of his injured minor clients.