WORK COMP INSURANCE: If I am an employer in the state of California, do I need to have Workers' Compensation Insurance for my employees? Even if I am a roofer, or real estate broker with independent contractor agents?

Yes,  you are required to have it. Under California law, employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance if they have even one employee. If you are a roofer and don’t have any employees, you are still required to carry the insurance.  If you are a real estate broker and you have agents, you are still required to carry it even if they are independent contractors.