If you are represented by a work comp attorney in California, an AME is the medical doctor your attorney and the work comp insurance company agree on to conduct the medical examination that will lead to a resolution of your work comp claim.  

If you do not have a work comp attorney, then you will use a "Qualified Medical Evaluator" also known as a QME, and not an AME.