A T-bone motorcycle accident is caused when the front end of a motor vehicle smashes into the side of a motorcycle. These collisions can cause the motorcycle rider to suffer catastrophic injuries or death due to the lack of protection their body has from the much heavier and larger vehicle striking them.
Fortunately, you can recover compensation for your injuries from the at-fault motorist who broadsided you. However, you need the help of a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer if you want to receive the full value of your claim in your settlement with their insurance company.
Leading Causes of T-Bone Motorcycle Crashes
These accidents are also referred to as side-impact, side-swipe, and broadside accidents. They are almost always caused by the negligence of the driver who strikes the motorcycle. Common ways they cause these collisions include:
- Failing to yield. Many side-impact collisions are caused when the driver of a car or truck fails to yield to a motorcycle rider who has the right of way at a stop sign or intersection.
- Distracted driving. Motorcycles are less visible on the road than much larger cars and trucks. If a driver is distracted by talking on their cellphone, texting, looking at a GPS, eating, or other actions, they are likely to not see a motorcycle before it is too late to avoid causing a wreck.
- Intoxication. When a motorist drives while intoxicated, their reaction times, judgment, and vision are reduced. As a result, they can engage in many reckless behaviors that can cause them to smash into the side of a nearby motorcycle.
- Unsafe lane changes. If a driver fails to check before making a lane change or is weaving dangerously between lanes, they can broadside a motorcycle in the lane next to them.
- Blind spots. It is crucial for drivers to check their blind spots before changing lanes for less visible motorcyclists. When they fail to do so, a sideswipe motorcycle crash is likely.
Contact Us for the Legal Assistance You Need After a T-Bone Accident
Were you injured in a broadside motorcycle accident caused by another driver in Southern California? You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more if you can prove the other motorist caused your crash by engaging in these or other negligent behaviors.
I am an experienced motorcycle accident attorney who can help you prove the other driver’s liability and will fight with their insurance company so you receive the maximum recovery for your injuries. To learn how I can assist you, call my San Diego office to schedule your free consultation today.