If you were attacked by a dog and suffered injuries, you should not try to settle your claim with the insurance company on your own. They could take advantage of you and try to deny your claim or convince you to accept less compensation than you deserve. Here are reasons why you need to retain an experienced dog bite lawyer as soon as possible after you were bitten.
How an Attorney Can Help You
You may be worried about the cost of hiring a lawyer to negotiate your settlement. However, most attorneys handle these cases on a contingency fee basis so that you owe no costs upfront and would only owe attorney fees if they win your case. Here are five ways they can help you win your case:
- Conduct an investigation. Your lawyer would investigate how your dog attack occurred. They would also collect the evidence you need to prove the owner’s or other at-fault party’s responsibility to compensate you for your injuries under California’s dog bite laws.
- Prepare a demand letter. Once your attorney completes their investigation and determines the amount of compensation you deserve for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering, they would send a demand letter to the liable party’s insurance company. The letter would outline why their insured is responsible to pay you, the seriousness of your injuries, and how much you deserve in your settlement.
- Negotiate with the insurance company. Your lawyer would negotiate your settlement with the insurance company. If the adjuster raises disputes about their liability or how much they should pay you, your attorney would provide them with additional evidence, such as an expert witness report, to resolve the issue and to convince them to pay you the maximum recovery in your settlement.
- File a lawsuit. If the insurance company digs in their heels and refuses to treat you fairly or the statute of limitations to sue will expire soon, your attorney would file a lawsuit on your behalf and litigate your claim.
- Handle your child’s claim. If your child was the victim of a dog bite, you must comply with special procedures to obtain court approval of their settlement—even if you settle the claim out of court. Your lawyer would understand the rules you must follow and would file the appropriate motion to get the court approval your child needs. They would also attend the hearing on the motion on your behalf.
Did your child or you suffer injuries caused by a dog attack? Call my San Diego office or start a live chat to schedule your free consultation to learn how I can assist you. I handle these cases on a contingency fee basis so you would only pay me if I successfully resolve your case.