If you suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, you need the help of a knowledgeable motorcycle accident lawyer if you want to receive all the compensation you deserve for your injuries. You may worry about whether you can afford to hire one with all the expensive medical bills you owe and no income coming in while you are off work recovering.
Fortunately, you can. Most lawyers handle these cases without charging victims any upfront fees.
What Is a Contingency Fee Agreement?
Most attorneys who represent victims of motorcycle collisions handle these cases on a contingency fee basis. Under a contingency fee agreement, you would only owe attorney fees if they win your case through a settlement or at a jury trial. They would charge you a percentage of your settlement or jury award as their fee for legal representation. If they are unable to obtain any compensation for you, you would not owe them any attorney fees.
In addition, you would not have to pay them until the insurance company pays you. After the insurance company mails your payment to your lawyer, your lawyer will deduct their legal fees before sending you a check for what you are owed. This makes paying for legal representation easy, affordable, and stress-free.
Additional Costs You Could Owe When You Hire a Lawyer
You could also owe other costs associated with settling your claim and filing a lawsuit if this becomes necessary. Unlike attorney fees, you may owe them whether or not you win your case. Your lawyer may pay them upfront and deduct them from your settlement or may have you pay them as they are incurred. Additional fees you could owe include:
- Medical records and other document copying fees
- Litigation costs, such as filing fees to file your lawsuit and motions
- Process server fees
- Expert witness fees
- Deposition costs
Once you decide to hire an attorney and they agree to accept your case, you’ll be asked to sign a retainer agreement. It should clearly state how they are charging their attorney fees and how you will have to pay any additional expenses of settling or litigating your claim.
Why the Cost of an Attorney Should Not Be the Only Consideration When Choosing One to Represent You
Before hiring a lawyer, it is important to know how much they will charge you. However, this should not be your only consideration when selecting one.
If you are like most motorcycle collision victims, you may never have needed to file an injury accident claim or retain an attorney before. You should obtain recommendations from friends, family, or co-workers and research potential lawyers on the Internet.
Once you narrow down your choices, you should take advantage of the free consultation that most lawyers offer to get advice on your claim and to interview them. Here is what you look for in selecting the attorney that is right for you:
- Experience. You need a lawyer who is experienced in handling motorcycle accident claims. These cases are different from car collision claims. You want an attorney who handles these claims as part of their practice.
- Track record of success. You should select a lawyer who has a track record of settling and litigating motorcycle accident claims. If you want to obtain all the damages you are entitled to from the insurance company, you need an attorney who is not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary.
- Communication. It is important to pick a lawyer who will keep you updated on the progress in your case and is available by phone, email, or in-person when you have questions that you need to be answered. You should look for an attorney who can explain the law, how settling a claim works, and other issues in your case in a way that you can understand. Not all lawyers can do this.
- Trust. You need a lawyer that you trust to fight with the insurance company so that you receive the maximum recovery in your settlement. You should be able to determine this by interviewing your top few choices.
Do you need help settling your motorcycle accident claim? Has the insurance company denied your claim? I am an experienced motorcycle accident attorney who will aggressively fight so that you receive all the damages you are entitled to in your settlement. To learn about my track record of success in settling and litigating these cases and how I can assist you, fill out my convenient online form to schedule your free consultation today.