Yes, there are. The California Vehicle Code does have some specific sections that apply only to bicycle riders. These laws not only protect a bicycle rider, but also set forth specific responsibilities and duties that must be followed and obeyed.
These California laws include regulations on such topics as:
- Drinking or using drugs while riding a bicycle;
- Specifics on where the bicyclist may ride and at what speeds;
- Specifics on the equipment a rider is required to have on their bicycle and on their person when riding;
- The use of hand signals;
- The use of bicycle lanes;
- The number of riders allowed on a bicycle;
- Specifics on the use of vehicle traffic and turn lanes.
Do you have more legal questions about car & motorcycle accident cases? Return to thePedestrian & Bicycle Accidents in California Frequently Asked Legal Questions page.