If you are injured in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, you are entitled to compensation for your lost wages in your settlement with their insurance company. It is important to understand what should be included in a claim for lost wages so that you receive all that you deserve when settling your case.
Who Is Eligible for Lost Wages?
You do not have to be employed full-time to be entitled to lost wages if you cannot work while you are recovering from your injuries. You can recover lost income in these work situations:
- Full-time employment
- Part-time employment
- Full-time or part-time contract work
- Occasional or seasonal work
What Is Included in a Lost Income Claim?
You must be able to document all the damages you are requesting. Paystubs, employee handbooks, statements from your employer, and your income tax returns are some ways to prove the amount of lost wages you should receive. You can ask for the following types of lost income:
- Lost wages. You should recover all the wages you lost while you were unable to work due to your injuries.
- Lost sick and vacation time. If you had to use sick or vacation time while you were recovering, you should be compensated for this time as part of your lost wages claim.
- Lost perks. Do you receive commissions, bonuses, or other perks of your job? If you did not earn them because you were off work, you can include them in your lost wage claim as long as you can document them.
- Lost earning capacity. You could become permanently disabled or have to make a job change where you are paid less due to your injuries. In this situation, you could be entitled to lost earning capacity to compensate you for these future losses.
How can you determine how much you should request for your lost wages when you file your claim with the negligent motorist’s insurance company? You need the help of an experienced car accident lawyer to calculate this and to fight so that you receive it in your settlement.
If you were hurt in an auto collision caused by another driver in San Diego or Southern California, I am here to help. Start a live chat to schedule your free case evaluation today.