San Diego Dog Bite Injury Law Firm: Tips to Avoid a Dog BiteHere are some helpful tips to avoid a dog bite:
1. Never run past a dog. This will trigger the dog’s natural instincts to give chase, run, and catch things with their mouth. Do not give them any incentives in triggering this natural response;
2. Do not move if a dog comes to you to sniff you. Dogs usually are gathering information on you and determining if there is even a threat; sudden movements do not help with this;
3. Remain very calm if a dog is becoming aggressive toward you. Try to remain as still as possible and avoid eye contact; do not raise your voice or turn to run; you should slowly move back until the dog is away from you, or better yet, out of view;
4. If you are tackled by dog to the ground, then: immediately curly our entire body into a ball with your arms and hands over your face and protecting your neck with your elbows and the back of your neck. You can even lie face down on the ground. Protect as best you can your upper extremities;
5. Never approach a dog that is eating, sleeping, or caring for its young. This may trigger a protection response in the dog that may attack you;
6. If you jog in an area that is secluded, it is a good idea to: Keep a small bear spray bottle with you in case a dog, coyote, or other potential dangerous animal approaches you in an aggressive fashion;
I hope these tips will make you better aware of what to do around dogs and vicious animals. Remember, if you are bitten, an experienced animal or dog bite attorney will need to be consulted to go over your legal rights.