Reckless driving is an overwhelming contributing factor in the majority of San Diego, California, car accidents. If another driver's reckless or negligent behavior on the road led to an accident that injured you or someone you care about, speak with a San Diego car crash lawyer who may be able to help establish liability for the accident and recoup financial damages to defray the high cost of medical treatment and any other expenses you incurred as a result of the crash.
What Constitutes Distracted Driving - and Why
A distraction can be virtually anything that detracts from the driver focusing his or her full attention on safely controlling the vehicle on the road and reacting to goings-on in the surrounding area.
Distractions may include, but are not limited to:
- Making or answering cell phone calls while driving - This is one of the most dangerous distractions that frequently tempt drivers, but many do it every day.
- Text messaging - Possibly even more dangerous than making calls while driving, texting while driving not only requires you to look at your phone, but also ties up one of your hands that should be on the wheel.
- Multi-tasking, such as applying makeup or eating - Anything that draws your attention away from the road is a hazard, whether it forces you to use your hands for something other than the operation of the car or pulls your gaze away from your surroundings.
- Loud music - Playing music loudly can drown out important noises from the environment, such as engine sounds or car horns. A recent study also found that brain power is reduced by 40% when listening to music or a conversation while driving.
- Navigating - if you are lost or unfamiliar with an area, pull over. Trying to read a map can draw your concentration away from potential hazards or traffic flow.
- Aggravated emotional states - Hysteria and anger are two examples of extreme emotional duress that can put a driver in jeopardy when operating a vehicle.
If you have been in an accident caused by a distracted driver, contact a San Diego car crash lawyer with experience in San Diego, California car accidents.
Take Control of Your California Injury Claim by Contacting a San Diego Car Crash Lawyer
San Diego car crash lawyer Mark C. Blane and his legal team aren't like some of the other San Diego injury attorneys you may have met with or seen ads for around town. Our goal is to educate our clients - even those whose cases we don't take - so that you not only understand the legal process ahead of you but the basics of San Diego injury law and your legal rights.
You can get started by ordering one of our FREE injury guides including Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: What Your Insurance Company Doesn't Want You to Know and Won't Tell You Until It's Too Late! or The 10 Secrets You Need to Know About Your Injury Case Before You Call a Lawyer. Contact us today to schedule your appointment - 1-888-845-6269 or 1-619-813-7955. We are proud to serve San Diego's Spanish speaking population and even offer our FREE California personal injury book en Español.